Friday 21 June 2013

It's official ... I need a root canal

That big dark shadow on the premolar on the right is my cavity, or as I like to call it, Carlsbad Cavern.  You can see how significant the cavity is by comparing it to normal-sized fillings like those in my first and second molars. 

My dentist a few weeks ago was nonplussed when he saw the x-ray of this tooth, and he gave me a referral to "the nice root canal guy".  I saw the Nice Root Canal Guy this morning, and he had no doubt in his mind whatsoever that I would need a root canal.  The bigger question was whether I had enough intact tooth left to save.  In part, he won't know the answer to that question until he gets in there with the drills and probes and all the other things that one uses to rip the pulp out of living teeth.  Good times.

The Nice Root Canal Guy was, in fact, very nice, and although he did some very painful things to test tooth enervation and the level of my gums relative to Carlsbad Cavern, it is not enough to ruin our relationship. 

I had to laugh, though.  When I was scheduling this appointment I had to wait 3 weeks to get an opening, and then two days before my appointment they wanted to postpone my appointment still further.  Today, once the Nice Root Canal Guy got a look at the giant hole in my head, he was suddenly possessed with a sense of urgency, and I have to come back for the root canal as soon as possible.  Apparently it has been an amazing fluke that I have not experienced any real pain or discomfort up to now (that is, until the Nice Root Canal Guy started in on my teeth), but I really am a ticking time bomb. 

So not only do I need a root canal, I need one Right Away.  And I get to pay $1,100 for the privilege.  I was not mentally or financially prepared to drop a grand on my mouth next week, and I have to confess the whole appointment left me a little shaken.  On the good side, it was a beautiful sunny day, so I walked back to my office at Bay and King Streets from Bloor and Cumberland Streets (about 6 subway stops' distance), so I got extra steps in. 

I am going to look on the bright side of this.  The Nice Root Canal Guy seems very nice, and I consider my tooth to be half-full, rather than half-empty.  Plus, I will lose at least 1/10th of an ounce from the root canal itself, so there's weight loss built into the procedure.  Put that way, it's a win-win. 

3 comments:

  1. So sorry ... sometimes I think it is better to have the pain, at least then YOU feel the urgency and some relief for your output of time and $$. I know I have a ticking time bomb in my mouth. Under a current crown, not sure if there is enough tooth left to work with, which would mean an implant or appliance which of course is big bucks. I'm not feeling pain, yet ... and I'm putting it off. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Few months back I had my root canal done at Gasser Dental Implant Center and I did not feel any pain during the entire surgical procedure. I m not facing any problem after this surgery too. It is true that nowadays with the advancement of technology people never experience any painful situation during their root canal procedure.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for posting. I would suggest you to go for immediate root canal treatment if you don't want to loose your tooth forever by tooth extraction.
    Torrance dentist

    ReplyDelete