Sunday 2 September 2012

A Grim Death March (or pleasant stroll) through Tommy Thompson Park

Today I planned a surprise walking trip for the Nerd, and took him for a walk to Tommy Thompson Park. 

We took the streetcar to Leslie Street and then walked down to the park, which was itself a 1.6 km walk. 

Then we walked around and through the park, although not to the end of it.  Along the way we stopped for lunch and took some photographs of the city from the viewpoint of the spit. 
We ended up walking for 1 1/2 hours before my iPhone's battery died from operating two trackers and the GPS.  That only got us to near the visitor center, from which we had another 20 minute walk to get back to the nearest bus line.  

The trip home was actually faster than the trip down, because we took the King streetcar, rather than the Queen streetcar, home.  

By the time we got home I was completely exhausted and really feeling the effects of the walk in my legs.  But that is to be expected because we walked 3.54 miles before the phone ran out, and another mile before reaching the transit.  I think I've earned the right to have sore legs after all that.  

I am pretty proud to have walked more than 3.1 miles in one stretch for the first time today - - that's the distance of a 5km race, and it's also more than the Nerd's mom walks on her neighborhood walks.  If I can keep working so that this distance is the usual, rather than something special, I will count that as a major win.

No comments:

Post a Comment