Thursday 9 August 2012

Food Glorious Food

Photo Courtesy Masahiro Ihara, Licensed CC-BY-SA
I have been working out for some time now, and the constant ongoing struggle for me is still food. 

My struggle is not so much the junk food binges, which I haven't done in months (although I still dream about my old trigger foods of popcorn with cheese and nachos at times).  My struggle is more with eating enough of the right foods every day, at the right time of day.

My schedule is unpredictable, other than my morning routine.  Once I get to work, I could be there straight through to 9 pm, 10 pm, or even 1 am or later.  I don't often take the time for lunch, or if I do, I begrudge the time - - I work on a billable hour, after all, and each day is a challenge to hit the required targets and to manage the workload. 

And if lunch is difficult, so too is dinner.  If I wait to eat dinner until I get home at night, there's very good odds that I would be eating in bed.  Apparently this is not good form.  At least the Nerd busts me when he discovers crumbs. 

I also struggle with eating enough calories each day.  I love food, don't get me wrong, but I obsess about eating too much, or eating too little.  I am finding it very difficult to eat enough calories so that my body doesn't go into starvation mode. 

Hopefully with time I can work on more effective meal planning, and meal execution.  It's not just about eating well on the weekend when the Nerd cooks, it's about continuing that good work during the week when I am on my own.  Packing lunch and dinner requires meal planning, and it also requires the time to get up and pack said lunches and dinner. 

That's the biggest lifestyle change - getting up and adding this whole other routine on top of my morning workout routine.  We'll see if it's something that I can implement. 

No comments:

Post a Comment