Friday 4 January 2013

Mini Milestone Reached...

Today I reached 246.6 pounds on my weigh-in, a loss of 2.3 versus last week (or 3.3, depending on which value you choose), for a total loss of 87.3 pounds, and a BMI of 36.4.  As you can see from the chart, below, this keeps me on track for hitting my overall weight loss goal sometime early 2014:




I have not missed a workout in 32 weeks now, out of the 50 weeks that I have been exercising, and the consistency is sure paying off.

But the weight loss in itself is not the big news.  The bigger news is that 246.6 pounds, where I stand now, is how much the Nerd weighed before he started cooking and eating healthy meals, back around this time last year. This blows my mind, because I never thought of the Nerd as obese, and yet that's what he was (and what I currently am).  In my mind he was padded, sure, but he was not obese.  Certainly not Obese Class II. 

So why do the same numbers add up to "padded" for him, and Obese Class II for me?  Is it my self-perception as a "fat girl" that causes me to see myself as heavy, while discounting others' weight?  I don't know.  The Nerd is the only person in my direct circle of friends who has ever weighed anything close to my weight, so this is the first time I have encountered this situation.  It just blows my mind. 

What I do know is that this is incredibly motivating - - this morning the Nerd weighed in at 188.9, his lowest weight in years.  He looks amazing, and feels great.  If he can do it, I can do it.  He is a living, breathing example of what success can look like, and it's very empowering.

It's empowering because the Nerd and I are basically doing the exact same things - - we generally eat the same meals, we each work out on the elliptical 6 days a week (although he goes for 60+ minutes every day, the mere thought of which makes me exhausted), and we do the little extras together, like going for walks or doing a bit of boxing. 

Because he is much closer to his weight loss target, the Nerd does not lose as much weight as I do each week.  But he is showing steady progress towards his goal, which is fantastic.  If he can do it, I can do it.  

Reaching this little mini-milestone shows me the possibilities in my weight loss adventure.  I have a glimpse into where I can be in another 7 or 8 months, with work.  Bring it on!


No comments:

Post a Comment